Applied and Computational Electromagnetics, Fractals and Fractional Methods in Electromagnetics, Microwave Imaging, Electromagnetic Metamaterials, Wave Propagation and Charge Transport Modeling
Dr. Muhammad Zubair is currently associated with the Department of Electrical Engineering at Information Technology University, Lahore as an Associate Professor, where he is leading Applied and Computational Electromagnetics Group of ITU NanoTech Lab. He has been a Visiting Assistant Professor at Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD).
Before joining ITU, he was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at SUTD-MIT International Design Centre, Singapore. He received his PhD in Computational Electromagnetics (CEM) at Polytechnic University of Turin, Italy. His PhD research was carried out at Antenna and EMC Lab (LACE) of Istituto Superiore Mario Boella (ISMB) in Turin-Italy where he worked on computational EM projects funded by Army Research Lab (ARL) in collaboration with Boston University, USA. During his postdoc, he has been working on various research projects related to fractional methods in electromagnetics funded by Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR)/ Asian Office of Aerospace Research and Development (AOARD) and Singapore Temasek Laboratories (TL). He is the principal author of his book on Electromagnetic Fields and Waves in Fractional Dimensional Space published by Springer, NY. He has contributed over 50 scientific works in journals and conferences of international repute. He has been an Associate Editor of the IEEE Access, and Editorial Board Member for the IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, PLOS One and International Journal of Antennas and Propagation. He continues to serve the scientific community as an invited book reviewer for Contemporary Physics (Taylor & Francis). He has been selected for the ‘URSI Young Scientist Award’ (YSA) in the URSI General Assembly (GASS), 2021.
Dr. Zubair is a Senior Member IEEE, Member IET, Member SPIE, Member OSA, Advisor ITU SPIE Chapter, Co-Advisor ITU OSA Chapter, and serves as Secretary of the IEEE AP/MTT/EMC Joint Local (ISB) Chapter.
For more information please visit his Personal Website.
Selected Publications:* Corresponding Authorship
- A. Arif, A. Zubair, K. Riaz, M. Q. Mehmood*, and M. Zubair*, A Novel Cesaro Fractal EBG-based Sensing Platform for Dielectric Characterization of Liquids, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, (accepted, in-press, do: 10.1109/TAP.2020.3028201), 2021.
- A. S. Rana, M. Zubair*, A. Danner, and M. Q. Mehmood*, "Revisiting Tantalum based Nanostructures for Efficient Harvesting of Solar Radiation in STPV Systems", Nano Energy, 80, 105520, 2021.
- W. Huang, X. Qu, S. Yin, M. Zubair, M. Yuan, W. Zhang, and J. Han, "Quantum engineering enables broadband and robust terahertz surface plasmon-polaritons coupler," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 1-7, Art no. 8400107, 2021.
- M. A. Abbas, A. Zubair*, K. Riaz, W. Huang, J. Teng, M. Q. Mehmood*, and M. Zubair*, Engineering multimodal dielectric resonance of TiO2 based nanostructures for high-performance refractive index sensing applications, Optics Express 28, 23509-23522, 2020.
- S. Ahmad, M. Zubair*, O. Jalil, M. Q. Mehmood, U. Younis*, X. Liu, K. W. Ang, L. K. Ang*, Generalized scaling law for exciton binding energy in two-dimensional materials, Physical Review Applied 13, 064062, 2020.
- A. Javed, A. Arif, M. Zubair*, M. Q. Mehmood* and K. Riaz*, A Low-Cost Multiple Complementary Split-Ring Resonator-Based Microwave Sensor for Contactless Dielectric Characterization of Liquids, IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 20, no. 19, pp. 11326-11334, 1 Oct.1, 2020.
- A. Zubair, M. Zubair*, A. Danner and M. Q. Mehmood*, "Engineering multimodal spectrum of Cayley tree fractal meta-resonator supercells for ultrabroadband terahertz light absorption", Nanophotonics, Vol 9, Issue 3, Pages 633-644, 2020
- A. Rana, M. Zubair*, S. Anwar, M. Saleem, M. Q. Mehmood*, "Engineering the Absorption Spectra of Thin Film Multilayer Absorbers for Enhanced Color Purity in CMY Color Filters ", Optical Materials Express, Vol. 10, Issue 2, pp. 268-281, 2020.
- M. M. Saleem*, H. Nawaz, M. U. Masood, J. Iqbal, M. Zubair*, "Surface Roughness Effects on Electromechanical Performance of RF MEMS Capacitive Switches", Microelectronics Reliability, Volume 104, 113544, 2020.
- A. Arif, M. Zubair*, M. Ali, M. U. Khan and M. Q. Mehmood*, A Compact, Low-Profile Fractal Antenna for Wearable On-Body WBAN Applications, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 18 (5), 981-985, 2019.
- M. A. Aslam, K. Riaz*, M. Q. Mehmood, M. Zubair*, "Hybrid analytical-numerical approach for investigation of differential effects in normal and cancer cells under electroporation", RSC Advances, ,9, 41518-41530, 2019.
- M. Zubair, Y. S. Ang, L. K. Ang, Thickness dependence of space-charge-limited current in spatially disordered organic semiconductors, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Volume 65, Issue 8, pp 3421-3429, 2018.
- M. Zubair, Y. S. Ang, and L. K. Ang, Fractional Fowler-Nordheim Law for Field Emission from Rough Surface with Nonparabolic Energy Dispersion, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Volume: 65, Issue 6, pp 2089-2095, 2018.
- [Editor's Pick] M. Zubair, Y. S. Ang, K. J. A. Ooi, and L. K. Ang, Fractional Fresnel coefficients for optical absorption in femtosecond laser-induced rough metal surfaces, Journal of Applied Physics, 124, 163101, 2018.
- Z. Khan, A. Razzaq, J. Iqbal, A. Qamar and M. Zubair*, "Double circular ring compact antenna for ultra-wideband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, vol. 12, no. 13, pp. 2094-2097, 31 10, 2018.
- S. Younis, M. M. Saleem*, M. Zubair*, S. M. T Zaidi*, "Multiphysics design exploration and optimization of RF-MEMS switch using response surface methodology", Microelectronics Journal, Volume 71, Pages 47–60, 2018.
- M. Zubair, L. K. Ang, “Fractional-dimensional Child-Langmuir Law for a rough cathode”, Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 23, Issue 7, 2016.
- M. Zubair, M. A. Francavilla, F. Vipiana, D. Zheng, G. Vecchi, Dual-Surface Electric Field Integral Equation Solution of Large Complex Problems, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64 No. 06, 2016.
- Q.A. Naqvi, M. Zubair*, “On cylindrical model of electrostatic potential in fractional space”, Optik-International Journal for Light and Electron Optics, 127(6), 3243-3247, 2016.
- M. Zubair, M. J. Mughal, and Q.A. Naqvi, “An exact solution of spherical wave in D-dimensional fractional space.” Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, 1481–1491, 2011.
- M. Zubair, M. J. Mughal, Q.A. Naqvi , “On electromagnetic wave propagation in fractional space,” Nonlinear Analysis: Real World Applications, 2011, Vol. 12, Issue 5, 2844-2850, 2011.
- M. Zubair, M. J. Mughal, Q.A. Naqvi and A.A. Rizvi “Differential electromagnetic equations in fractional space.” Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, page 255-269, 2011.
- M. Zubair, M. J. Mughal, and Q.A. Naqvi, “An exact solution of cylindrical wave equation for electromagnetic field in fractional dimensional space.” Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, page 443-455, 2011.
- [Book] M. Zubair, M. J. Mughal, Q.A. Naqvi (Authors), “Electromagnetic Fields and Waves in Fractional Dimensional Space”, SpringerBriefs in Applied Sciences and Technology, Springer, 2012. (ISBN 978-3-642-25357-7)
- Senior Member, IEEE
- MIET, UK
- Member SPIE
- Member OSA
- Member Applied and Computational Electromagnetics Society (ACES) USA
- American Physical Society (APS) Early Career Member (2015- present)
- Pakistan Engineering Council (2009- present)