His current research interests include computational electromagnetics, fractional methods in electromagnetics, antennas and wave propagation, microwave imaging and charge transport modeling. Currently, he leads the Applied and Computational Electromagnetics (ACEM) Group at ITU NanoTech Lab which deals with the development of novel electromagnetic devices and systems. He serves on the editorial board of IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, PLOS One and International Journal of Antennas and Propagation and has been an Associate Editor for IEEE Access.
Dr. Muhammad Zubair is currently associated with the Department of Electrical Engineering at Information Technology University, Lahore as an Assistant Professor, where he is leading Applied and Computational Electromagnetics Group of ITU NanoTech Lab. He has been a Visiting Assistant Professor at Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD).
Before joining ITU, he was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at SUTD-MIT International Design Centre, Singapore. He received his PhD in Computational Electromagnetics (CEM) at Polytechnic University of Turin, Italy. His PhD research was carried out at Antenna and EMC Lab (LACE) of Istituto Superiore Mario Boella (ISMB) in Turin-Italy where he worked on computational EM projects funded by Army Research Lab (ARL) in collaboration with Boston University, USA. During his postdoc, he has been working on various research projects related to fractional methods in electromagnetics funded by Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR)/ Asian Office of Aerospace Research and Development (AOARD) and Singapore Temasek Laboratories (TL). He is the principal author of his book on Electromagnetic Fields and Waves in Fractional Dimensional Space published by Springer, NY. He has contributed over 50 scientific works in journals and conferences of international repute. He has active research collaborations with SUTD-MIT International Design Center Singapore, College of E&ME NUST Islamabad, RIMMS Islamabad and US-Pak Centre for Advanced Studies in Energy.
Dr. Zubair is a Member of the IEEE, Member of the IEEE-Antenna and Propagation Society (AP-S), Member of the IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society (MTT-S), Member of the SPIE, the international society for optics and photonics, Advisor ITU OSA Chapter, Advisor ITU SPIE Chapter, and the General Secretary of the IEEE AP/MTT/EMC Joint Pakistan Chapter.
He has been an Associate Editor of the IEEE Access and an Editorial Board Member for IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, PLOS One and International Journal of Antennas and Propagation. He continues to serve the scientific community as an invited book reviewer for Contemporary Physics, a high-impact journal published by the Taylor & Francis Group. For more information please visit NanoTech Lab website and his personal website.
- SUTD Visiting Assistant Professor (2018- )
- SUTD Research Fellowship (2015-2017)
- Secretary, IEEE APS/MTTS/EMC Joint Local Chapter ISB (2018 - present)
- HEC Fellowship for PhD at Politecnico di Torino, Italy
- Highest Distinction in MS in Electronic Engineering (GIKI, 2011)
- Gold Medal and Distinction in BS in Electronic Engineering (IIUI, 2009)
- Nomination for Aizaz-e-Sabqat (Performance Award) Presidential Award 2010
- Muhammad Zubair (PI), and Muhammad Qasim Mehmood (Co-PI), "BreastCare - Design and Development of Low-Cost and Safe Microwave Imaging System for Early Screening of Breast Cancer at GP Clinics and Hospitals", HEC Technology Development Fund, 2019-2021.
- Muhammad Zubair (PI), ITU Start-up Grant, Nov 2017- Nov 2020.
- Muhammad Zubair (PI), "Antenna design for Microwave Imaging Applications", ITU UROP, Nov 2018- April 2019.
- Muhammad Zubair (PI), and Muhammad Qasim Mehmood (Co-PI), "Breast Cancer Detection via Optical Imaging", Plan 9 Incubation Fund, Govt. of Punjab, 2018-2019.
- SPIE Member (2019 - onwards)
- IEEE Member (2012- onwards)
- American Physical Society (APS) Early Career Member (2015- present)
- Pakistan Engineering Council (2009- present)
- IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Member (2012- present)
- Computational Electromagnetics at Fractional Dimensions (Sponsered by USA Air Force AFOSR/AOARD)
- Electromagnetic Computational Tools at Fractional Dimensions (SG Temasek Lab)
- Dielectric properties of heterogeneous medium with inclusion of fractal geometry (UROP SUTD)
- Electron emission and charge transfer plasmon in bowtie nanostructures (UROP SUTD)
- College of E&ME, NUST
- Deptt. of Electronics, QAU
- US-Pak Center for Advanced Studies in Energy, UET Pesh