Optical and Microwave Metamaterials, Nano/micro-photonics and Fabrications, Antenna Engineering, RF/Microwave Devices and Systems
Dr. M. Qasim Mehmood has received his BS degree in Electronic Engineering from International Islamic University Islamabad (IIUI) in 2008. Same year he started his MS (in Electronic Engineering) from Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute (GIKI) and joined there as a Lecturer upon completion of his MS in 2010. He served GIKI as a lecturer till joining National University of Singapore as a PhD scholar (in Electrical and Computer Engineering) in July 2011. He completed his PhD, in January 2016, under the supervision of Prof. Cheng-wei Qiu, Prof. Aaron Danner and Dr. Teng Jinghua. His research interests were in the area of optics and nano-photonics: more precisely it included the demonstration of exotic phenomena (via ultra-thin nano-structured devices) e.g., on-chip orbital angular manipulation, beam-steering, spin-orbital coupling, three dimensional holography, polarization filtering and light absorption etc. All of his work incorporated vigorous theoretical modelling, numerical calculations and experimental investigations. He gained considerable experience of nano-fabrications at Institute of Material Research Engineering (IMRE) A*STAR Singapore and Spin Energy Lab (SEL) NUS Singapore. His PhD research-works were published in various prestigious journals such as Advanced Materials, Laser Photonics Reviews and Advanced Optical Materials etc.
Currently, he is working as an Assistant Professor (since Feb 2016) and heading NanoTech research-lab (www.nanotechlab.itu.edu.pk) at Information Technology University of the Punjab Lahore, Pakistan. NanoTech lab earned notable repute, of high impact and quality research, in a short-span. Since its establishment in March 2016, it has produced significant works in world’s well-known ISI-indexed journals such as Advanced Functional Materials, ACS Nano, Light Science & Applications, Optics Letter, Applied Physics Letters, Annalen der Physik and Chinese Physics Letters etc. Its research-scope spans over the broad range of emerging areas form fundamental investigations to innovative applications. On the fundamental side, areas like applied electromagnetics, microwave engineering, antenna engineering, semiconductors, nano-optics and nano-photonics, plasmonic metamaterials and nano-antennas are targeted. On the applied side, microwave system and antennas are designed and developed for various applications such as communication, radar front-end and bio-imaging etc. He has active research collaborations locally (with LUMS, NUST and GIKI) and internationally (with NUS, POSTECH, SUTD and Wuhan University) where his students (MS and PhD) and research associates travel for research-attachments.
- Ahsan Sarwar Rana†, M. Q. Mehmood*†, Heonyeong Jeong, Inki Kim, Junsuk Rho, "Tungsten-based Ultrathin Absorber for Visible Regime", Scientific Reports (under review) (2018). † = Equal Contribution. * = Corresponding Author, Impact Factor = 4.259.
- Mohammad Danesh, Tianhang Zhang, Weiqiang Ding, Hamim Rivy , Ariful Chowdhury, M. Q. Mehmood, "Plasmonic Spherical Heterodimers: Reversal of Optical Binding Force Based on the Forced Breaking of Symmetry", Scientific Reports (under review) (2018). Impact Factor = 4.259.
- Sohail Abdul Jalil, Qazi Salman Ahmed1, Mahreen Akram , Muhammad Naseem Abbas, Ayesha Khalid, Arslan Khalil, Muhammad Luqman Khalid, M. Q. Mehmood*. "Fabrication of high refractive index TiO2 films using electron beam evaporator for all dielectric metasurfaces ", Materials Research Express (2017). * = Corresponding Author. Impact Factor = 1.068.
- Kun Huang, Hong Liu, Sara Restuccia, M. Q. Mehmood, Shengtao mei, Daniel Giovannini, Aaron Danner, Miles Padgett, Jinghua Teng and Cheng-Wei Qiu, “Spiniform-Phase-Encoded Metagratings Entangling Arbitrarily Rational-order Orbital Angular Momentum", Nature, Light: Science & Applications 2017. Impact Factor = 14.098
- Zile Li†, Inki Kim†, Lei Zhang†, M. Q. Mehmood†, Sabieh Anwar, Murtaza Saleem, Dasol Lee, Ki Tae Nam, Shuang Zhang, Boris Luk'yanchuk, Guoxing Zhang, Junsuk Rho and Cheng-Wei Qiu," "Dielectric Meta-Holograms Enabled with Dual Magnetic Resonances in Visible Light", ACS Nano (2017). †=Equal Contribution. Impact Factor = 13.942
- Sohail Abdul Jalil, Mahreen Akram, Gwanho Yoon, Ayesha Khalid, Dasol Lee, Niloufar Raeis-Hosseini, Sunae So, Inki Kim, Qazi Salman Ahmed, Junsuk Rho, M. Q. Mehmood*," High Refractive Index Ti3O5 Films for Dielectric Metasurfaces", Chinese Phys. Lett. (2017).* = Corresponding Author. Impact Factor = 0.80.
- Guoxing Zheng, Weibiao Wu, Zile Li, Shuang Zhang, M. Q. Mehmood, Ping’an He, and Song Li," A Dual Field-of-View Zoom Metalens", Opt. Lett. 42, 7, 1261-1264 (2017). Impact Factor =3.040
- S. Mei, K. Huang, T. Zhang, M. Q. Mehmood, H. Liu, C.T. Lim, J. Teng, and C.-W. Qiu*, "Evanescent Vortex: Optical Subwavelength Spanner", Appl. Phys. Lett., 109, 191107 (2016). Impact Factor = 3.14.
- M. R. C. Mahdy†, M. Q. Mehmood†, Weiqiang Ding, Tianhang Zhang, Zhi Ning Chen," Lorentz Force and the Optical Pulling of Multiple Rayleigh Particles outside the Dielectric Cylindrical Waveguides", Ann. Phys. (Berlin), 1–9 (2016). †=Equal Contribution. Impact Factor = 3.44.
- Shengtao Mei†, M. Q. Mehmood†, Sajid Hussain, Kun Huang, Xiaohui Ling, Shawn Yohanes Siew, Hong Liu, Jinghua Teng, Aaron Danner and Cheng-Wei Qiu, " Flat Helical Nanosieves", Adv. Fun. Mat. Volume 26, Issue 29, 5255–5262, (2016). †=Equal Contribution. Impact Factor = 11.80.
- Wei Xiang Jiang, Shuo Ge, Tiancheng Han, Shuang Zhang, M. Q. Mehmood, Cheng-Wei Qiu and Tie Jun Cui, " Shaping electromagnetic wave paths using three-dimensional gradient-refractiveindex metamaterials", Adv. Sci. (2016). Impact Factor = 6.00.
- M. Q. Mehmood, Shengtao Mei, Sajid Hussain, Kun Huang, S. Y. Siew, Lei Zhang, Tianhang Zhang, Xiaohui Ling, Hong Liu, Jinghua Teng, Aaron Danner, Shuang Zhang, and Cheng-Wei Qiu, “Visible-frequency Metasurface for Structuring and Spatially Multiplexing Optical Vortices” Adv. Mater. (2016). Impact Factor = 17.49
- M. Q. Mehmood, Hong Liu, Kun Huang, Shengtao Mei, Aaron Danner, Boris Luk’yanchuk, Shuang Zhang, Jinghua Teng, Stefan A. Maier, and Cheng-Wei Qiu, “Broadband Spin-Controlled Focusing via Logarithmic-spiral Nanoslits of Varying Width” Laser Photonics Rev. 9, 6, 674–681 (2015). Impact Factor = 8.01
- Xianzhong Chen, Ming Chen, M. Q. Mehmood, Dandan Wen, Fuyong Yue , Cheng-Wei Qiu and Shuang Zhang, “Longitudinal multi-foci metalens for circularly polarized light”, Advanced Optical Mater. 3, No. 9, 1201–1206 (2015). †=Equal Contribution. Impact Factor = 5.188
- Dacheng Wang, Lingchao Zhang, Yinghong Gu, M. Q. Mehmood, Yandong Gong, Amar Srivastava, Linke Jian, T. Venkatesan, Cheng-Wei Qiu & Minghui Hong, “Switchable Ultrathin Quarter-wave Plate in Terahertz Using Active Phase-change Metasurface”. Scientific Reports 5, Article number: 15020 (2015). Impact Factor = 5.578
- Jialian Sheng, Mengdao Xing, Lei Zhang, M. Q. Mehmood, and Lei Yang, “ISAR Cross-Range Scaling by Using Sharpness Maximization,” Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, IEEE, vol.12, no.1, pp.165,169, Jan. 2015. Impact Factor = 2.095
- Shengtao Mei, Kun Huang, Hong Liu, Fei Qin, M. Q. Mehmood, Zhengji Xu, Minghui Hong, Daohua Zhang, Jinghua Teng, Aaron Danner, and Cheng-Wei Qiu, “On-chip Discrimination of Orbital Angular Momentum of Light with Plasmonic Nanoslits” Nanoscale, 2015, DOI: 10.1039/C5NR07374J. Impact Factor = 7.394
- Hong Liu†, M. Q. Mehmood†, Kun Huang, Lin Ke, Huapeng Ye, Patrice Genevet, Mingsheng Zhang , Aaron Danner, Swee Ping Yeo, Cheng-Wei Qiu, and Jinghua Teng, “Twisted Focusing of Optical Vortices with Broadband Flat Spiral Zone Plates.” Advanced Optical Mater. 2, No. 12, 1193–1198 (2014) †=Equal Contribution, Impact Factor = 5.188
- M. Q. Mehmood, Cheng-Wei Qiu, Aaron Danner, and Jinghua Teng, “Generation of optical vortex beams by compact structures.” Mol. Eng. Mater. 02, 1440013 (2014)
- M. Q. Mehmood, M. J. Mughal and T. Rahim, “Focal Region Fields of Gregorian System Embedded in Chiral Medium.” Progress in Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 11, 241-256, 2010.
- M. Q. Mehmood, M. J. Mughal and T. Rahim, “Focal Region Fields of Cassegrain System Embedded in Chiral Medium.” Progress in Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 21, 329-346, 2010.
- M. Q. Mehmood, and M. J. Mughal, "Analysis of Focal Region Fields of PEMC Gregorian System Embedded in Chiral Medium." Progress in Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 18, 155-168, 2010.
- M. Q. Mehmood, M. J. Mughal and T. Rahim, "Analysis of Focal Region Fields of PEMC Cassegrain System Embedded in Chiral Medium." International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol. 38, No. 1, 39-45 (2012). Impact Factor =0.815
- Arshad, M. Q. Mehmood, and M. J. Mughal, “Caustic Region Fields of a 3D Cassegrain System Placed in Bi-Isotropic Homogeneous Chiral Medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 20, 191-205, 2011
- Kayani, M. Q. Mehmood, M. J. Mughal and T. Rahim, “Analysis of the Field Focused by Hyperbolic Lens Embedded in Chiral Medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 20, 43–56, 2011.
- Abdul Razzaq Farooqi, Muhammad Junaid Mughal and M. Q. Mehmood, "Focusing of Electromagnetic fields by a circular reflector coated with Chiral Medium." International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol. 38, No. 4, 181-193 (2012). Impact Factor = 0.815
- Shengtao Mei, M. Q. Mehmood, Kun Huang, Cheng-Wei Qiu, " Multi-foci metalens for spin and orbital angular momentum interaction." Proc. SPIE9544, Metamaterials, Metadevices, and Metasystems (2015), 95441J.
- Hong Liu, M. Q. Mehmood, Kun Huang, Lin Ke, Huapeng Ye, Patrice Genevet, Mingsheng Zhang, Cheng-Wei Qiu, JinghuaTeng, " Aperiodic Nanophotonics: A New Paradigm for Engineering Light's Orbital Angular Momentum." Meta 15, New York (2015).
- J. Mughal, T. Rahim and M. Q. Mehmood, "Analysis of the Caustic Region Fields of a PEMC Spherical Reflector Placed in Chiral Medium." IEEE 19th Signal Processing and Communications Applications Conference (SIU 2011).
- M. J. Mughal, T. Rahim, M. Husnain and M. Q. Mehmood, "Caustic Region Fields of two Dimensional Cassegrain System Coated with Isotropic Chiral Medium." IEEE 19th Signal Processing and Communications Applications Conference (SIU 2011).
- Selected for ICTP Winter School of Optics, 2017.
- NUS Research Scholarship for PhD.
- GIKI fellowship for MS.
- 2nd Position (with highest distinction: 3.95/4.00 CGPA) in BS in Electronic Engineering.
National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore. Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), South Korea.