Image processing, pattern recognition, machine vision, Optimization, Modeling and Simulation.
Dr. Arif Mahmood received his MS and PhD in Computer Science from the Lahore University of
Management Sciences (LUMS), winning a gold medal along the way and graduating with academic
distinction. His PhD thesis was on “Computation Elimination Algorithms for Correlation Based Fast
Template Matching.” He has served as a Research Assistant Professor at the School of Computer
Science and Software Engineering, and then later at the School of Mathematics and Statistics in the
University of Western Australia. Previously, he was an Assistant Professor at the Punjab University
College of Information Technology from 2008 to 2012. He also worked as a Postdoctoral Researcher at
the College of Engineering in Qatar University. In 2011, Dr. Mahmood received a large grant from the
University of Punjab and established an image processing research facility by purchasing state-of-the-
art video and still cameras, workstations and other required apparatus. In 2015 he successfully
authored Linkage Project grant from Australian Research Council (ARC): “Machine Learning for
Fracture Risk Assessment from Simple Radiography" with industry partners. He has excellent teaching
and research experience at several national and international institutes. He was Program Committee
member in FIT 2017 and in the 2nd International Workshop on “Robust Subspace Learning and
Applications in Computer Vision” in conjunction with ICCV 2017, and ICCV 2019. His major research
interests include data clustering, classification, action and object recognition using image sets. He has
also worked on computation elimination algorithms for fast template matching, video compression,
object removal and image mosaicking. At the School of Mathematics and Statistics, he worked on
community detection in complex networks. He has been publishing extensively in prestigious journals
including IEEE TPAMI, IEEE TIP, IEEE TCSVT, and IEEE TKDE. He has presented his work at over 17
conferences worldwide including very prestigious conference such as CVPR, ECCV, ACCV, BMVC,
and WACV. His other webpages can be accessed at UWA, Google Profile, and Research Gate.
- M S Farid, Arif Mahmood, S Al-Maadeed, “Molti-focus Image Fusion Using Content Adaptive Blurring”, in Information Fusion, January 2019 (IF 5.667)
- S Javed, Arif Mahmood, S Al-Maadeed, T Bouwmans, S K Jung, “Moving Object Detection in Complex Scene Using Spatiotemporal Structured-Sparse RPCA”, in IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, February 2019. (IF 5.07)
- M Shaban, Arif Mahmood, S Al-Maadeed, N Rajpoot “An Information Fusion Framework for Person Localization Via Body Pose in Spectator Crowds”, in Information Fusion, November 2019. (IF 6.639)
- H Ullah, M Uzair, Arif Mahmood, H Ullah, S D Khan, F A Sheikh “Internal Emotion Classification Using EEG Signal with Sparse Discriminative Ensemble”, in IEEE Access, March 2019. (IF 3.557)
- M Fiaz, Arif Mahmood, S Javed, S K Jung “Handcrafted and Deep Trackers: Recent Visual Object Tracking Approaches and Trends”, in ACM Computing Surveys, Jan 2019 (IF 5.55)
- B Iqbal, W Iqbal, N Khan, Arif Mahmood, A Erradi “Canny edge detection and Hough transform for high resolution video streams using Hadoop and Spark”, in Cluster Computing, April 2019 (IF 1.6)
- M Soltana, Arif Mahmood, S Javed, S K Jung, “Unsupervised deep context prediction for background estimation and foreground segmentation”, in Machine Vision and Applications, April 2019. (IF 1.306)
- M Faiz, Arif Mahmood, S K Jung, “Using Convolutional Neural Network With Structural Input for Visual Object Tracking", in ACM/SIGAPP Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC), Cyprus, April 2019.
- J Iqbal, M A Munir, Arif Mahmood, A R Ali, M Ali, “Orientation Aware Object Detection with Application to Firearms”, arXiv: 2662045, April 2019
- M Faiz, Arif Mahmood, S K Jung, “Deep Siamese networks towards robust visual tracking" in “Visual Object Tracking in the Deep Neural Networks Era.", IntechOpen Publishers, April 2019 (in Press)
- Arif Mahmood, M Uzair, S Al-Maadeed, “Molti-order Statistical Descriptors for Real-time Face Recognition and Object Classification”, in IEEE Access, 2018 (IF 3.244).
- I Rida, S Al-maadeed, Arif Mahmood, A Boridane, S Baksi “Palmprint Identification Using an Ensemble of Sparse Representations”, in IEEE Access, 2018 (IF 3.244).
- S Javed, Arif Mahmood, T Bouwmans, S K Jung, “Spatiotemporal Low-rank Modeling for Complex Scene Background Initialization”, in IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 2018. (IF 3.599)
- S Ali, R Khan, Arif Mahmood, M Hassan, M Jeon, “Using temporal covariance of motion and geometric features via boosting for human fall detection”, in Sensors, 2018. (IF 2.475)
- W Iqbal, A Erradi, Arif Mahmood, “Dynamic workload patterns prediction for proactive auto-scaling of web applications”, in Journal of Network and Computer Applications, 2018. (IF 3.991)
- M Fiaz, Arif Mahmood, S K Jung “Tracking Noisy Targets: A Review of Recent Object Tracking Approaches”, available online arXiv:1802.03098, 2018.
- Z Suhail, Arif Mahmood, L Wang, P N Malcolm, and R Zwiggelaar, “A Voting-Based Encoding Technique for the Classification of Gleason Score for Prostate Cancers", in Medical Image Understanding and Analysis (MIUA), University of Southampton, UK, Joly 2018.
- Z Suhail, Arif Mahmood, E R E Denton, R Zwiggelaar, “Bag of Visual Words Approach for Classification of Benign and Malignant Masses in Mammograms Using Voting Based Feature Encoding", in International Workshop on Breast Imaging (IWBI), Atlanta, Georgia, USA, Joly 2018.
- M Soltana, Arif Mahmood, S Javed, S K Jung, “Unsupervised RGBD Video Object Segmentation Using GANs", in ACCV Workshop on RGBD-Sensing and Understanding via Combined Color and Depth, Perth, Australia, December 2018.
- S Javed, Arif Mahmood, T Bouwmans, S K Jung, “Background-Foreground Modeling Based on Spatiotemporal Sparse Subspace Clustering”, in IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2017 (IF 4.828)
- A G Karkar, J M Aljaam, Arif Mahmood, “Illustrate It! An Arabic Moltimedia Text-to-Picture m- Learning System”, IEEE Access, 2017 (IF 3.244)
- B Brekhna, Arif Mahmood, Y Zhou, C Zhang, “Robustness analysis of superpixel algorithms to image blur, additive Gaussian noise, and impolse noise”, SPIE Journal of Electronic Imaging, 2017 (IF 0.754)
- Arif Mahmood, M Small, S Maadeed, N Rajpoot, “Using Geodesic Space Density Gradients for Network Community Detection”, in IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 2017. (IF 3.438)
- H Tazeem, M Farid, Arif Mahmood, “Improving security surveillance by hidden cameras” in Moltimedia Tools and Applications, January 2017. (IF 1.346)
- M Uzair, Arif Mahmood, S A Al-maadeed, “Non-cooperative and occluded person identification using periocolar region with visible, infra-red, and hyperspectral imaging”, in Biometric Security and Privacy: Opportunities & Challenges in The Big Data Era (Signal Processing for Security Technologies), ISBN-13: 978-3319473000, Springer, 2017
- S Muhammad, Arif Mahmood, S Al-Maadeed, N Rajpoot, "Molti-person Head Segmentation in Low Resolution Crowd Scenes Using Convolutional Encoder-Decoder Network", International Workshop on Representation, analysis and recognition of shape and motion FroM Image data (RFMI), December 2017.
- Javed, Arif Mahmood, T Bouwmans, S K Jung, “Superpixels-based Manifold Structured Sparse RPCA for Moving Object Detection” in British Machine Vision Conference 2017.
- M Fiaz, S Javed, Arif Mahmood, S K Jung, “Comparative Study of ECO and CFNet Object Trackers in Noisy Environment”, in the 3rd International Conference on Next Generation Computing, Taiwan, 2017.
- M. S. Farid, Arif Mahmood, and M. Grangetto, “Image De-fencing Framework with Hybrid Inpainting Algorithm”, in Signal Image and Video Processing, 2016. (IF 1.43)
- H Rahmani, Arif Mahmood, D Huynh and A Mian, “Histogram of Oriented Principal Components for cross-view action recognition”, in IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 2016. (IF 8.329)
- S Javed, Arif Mahmood, T Bouwmans, S K Jung, “Motion aware graph regolarized RPCA for Background Modeling of Complex Scenes” in ICPR 2016.
- Arif Mahmood, M Small, “Subspace based network community detection using sparse linear coding”, in IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE) 2016.
- M Shaban, Arif Mahmood, Nasir Rajpoot, “Person Pose Detection and Segmentation in Dense Spectator Crowds” in Machine Learning and Data Analysis Symposium (MLDAS), Qatar, 2016.
- Arif Mahmood, N Rajpoot, “Action Recognition in Spectator Crowds” in Qatar Foundation Annual Research Conference Proceedings, 2016.
- Arif Mahmood, M Small, “Subspace based network community detection using sparse linear coding”, in IEEE transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 2015. (IF 2.476)
- M Uzair, Arif Mahmood, A Mian, “Periocolar region based person identification in the visible infra- red and hyperspectral imagery”, in Neurocomputing, 2015. (IF 2.005)
- M Uzair, Arif Mahmood, A Mian, “Hyperspectral face recognition with spatiospectral information fusion and PLS regression” in IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2015. (IF 3.625)
- M Uzair, Arif Mahmood, F Shafait, C Nansen and A Mian, "Is spectral reflectance of the face a reliable biometric?", Optics Express, 2015. (IF 3.648)
- H. Rahmani, D Huynh, Arif Mahmood and A Mian, “Discriminative human action classification using locality-constrained linear coding”, in Pattern Recognition Letters, 2015. (IF 1.551)
- J Bosveld, Arif Mahmood, D Huynh, L Noakes, “Constrained metric learning by permutation inducing isometries” in IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2015. (IF 3.625)
- M. Fareed and Arif Mahmood, “An image composition algorithm for handling global visual effects” in Moltimedia Tools and Applications, 2014. (IF 1.346)
- Arif Mahmood and A Mian “Semi-supervised spectral clustering for classification”, arXiv:1405.5737, May 2014
- Arif Mahmood, A Mian, and R Owens “Optimizing Auto-correlation for Fast Target Search in Large Search Space” arXiv:1407.3535, Joly 2014
- M Uzair, Arif Mahmood, and A Mian, "Sparse kernel learning for image set classification'', Asian Conf. on Computer Vision (ACCV) 2014
- H Rahmani, Arif Mahmood, D Huynh, and A Mian, "HOPC: Histogram of Oriented Principal Components of 3D Pointclouds for Action Recognition" in ECCV 2014.
- Arif Mahmood, A Mian and R Owens, “Semi-supervised spectral clustering for image set classification” in IEEE Computer Vision Pattern Recognition (CVPR) 2014.
- H Rehmani, Arif Mahmood, D Huynh and A Mian, “Action classification using locality-constrained linear coding of HOG3D”in ICPR 2014 (Best Scientific Paper Award Winner).
- H Rehmani, Arif Mahmood, D Huynh, and A Mian, “Real time action recognition using histograms of depth gradients and random decision forests” in WACV, 2014.
- J Bosveld, Arif Mahmood, D Q Huynh, L Noakes, “Constraining metric learning by permutation- inducing isometries”, Software Engineering Research Conference, UWA, Australia, 2014
- M Uzair, Arif Mahmood, and A Mian, “'Hyperspectral face recognition using 3D-DCT and Partial Least Squares (PLS)”, in BMVC 2013.
- M Uzair, Arif Mahmood, A Mian, and C McDonald, “A compact discriminative representation for efficient image-set classification with application to biometric recognition”, in ICB 2013.
- M Uzair, Arif Mahmood, A Mian, and C McDonald, “Periocolar biometric recognition using image sets”, in WACV 2013.
- M. Farid, Arif Mahmood, “Image morphing in frequency domain” in Journal of Mathematical Imaging and Vision, 2012. (IF 1.552)
- Arif Mahmood, S Khan, “Partial elimination algorithm for correlation coefficient based fast template matching”, in IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2012. (IF 3.625)
- Arif Mahmood and A Mian, “Hierarchical sparse spectral clustering for image set classification”, in BMVC 2012.
- Arif Mahmood, S Khan, “Exploiting transitivity of correlation for fast template matching”, in IEEE Transaction on Image Processing, 2010. (IF 3.625)
- M Farid, H Khan, and Arif Mahmood, "Image Inpainting using Cubic Hermit Spline" in ICSIP 2010.
- M Farid, H Khan, and Arif Mahmood, "Image Inpainting based on Pyramids" in ICSP 2010.
- Arif Mahmood and S Khan, “Early termination algorithms for AdaBoost based detectors”, in ICIP 2009 (IEEE Student Author Award Winner).
- Arif Mahmood and S Khan, “Exploiting local autocorrelation function for fast video to Reference image alignment”, in ICIP 2008.
- Arif Mahmood, “Structure-less object detection using AdaBoost Algorithm”, in ICMV 2007 (Best Student Paper Award Winner).
- Arif Mahmood and S Khan, “Early Termination Algorithms for Correlation Coefficient Based Block Matching”, in ICIP 2007.
- Arif Mahmood, Z Uzmi, and S Khan, “Video Coding With Linear Compensation (VCLC)”, in IEEE ICC 2007.
- Arif Mahmood and S Khan, “Exploiting Inter-Frame Correlation for Fast Video to Reference Image Alignment”, in ACCV 2007.
- M Awais, Arif Mahmood, and A Karim, “Automatically Generating Association Roles under Diverse Operational Conditions for a Large Scale Power Plant”, in IBCAST 2003.
- A coauthored paper obtained Best Scientific Paper Award in ICPR 2014
- Obtained first prize for ‘Innovative Research’ in all Pakistan Inter Colleges and Universities Computer Project Exhibition & Competition (COMPPEC 2011).
- Invited speaker in International Conference on Machine Vision in 2010.
- Obtained IEEE student author award for travel and registration in International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP09).
- Received the best student paper award in International Conference on Machine Vision 2007.
- Obtained Gold Medal and Deans Honor Award for the best academic distinction in MS.
- He was Invited speaker in the 19th School of Computer Science & Software Engineering Research Conference on “Image Segmentation using Graph Cuts” in 2013.
- He delivered seminars in LUMS, ITU and PUCIT in 2015 on Classification Via Clustering, and in ITU in 2016 on “Community detection in Complex networks”.
- He has served as reviewer for the conferences including ACCV, INMIC, DICTA, TENCON, IBCAST, ICMV, FIT 2017, and RSLCV 2017.
- He has served as reviewer for the journals including IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Machine Vision and Applications Journal, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, and Mathematical Problems in Engineering.