His research interests include compressive sensing, inverse problems in imaging, convex geometry, low-rank matrix recovery, sparse approximations, and applications of low-dimensional signal models in signal processing, and machine learning. His PhD research includes a significant contributions towards the important blind deconvolution problem in signal processing and communications.
Dr. Ali Ahmed is currently associated with the Department of Electrical Engineering at Information Technology University, Lahore as an Assistant Professor and the director of the signal processing and information decoding research (Spider) lab.
Prior to that he worked as a postdoctoral associate at the Department of Mathematics, MIT from 2014 to 2016, and as a postdoctoral fellow at the Institute of Computational and Experimental Research in Mathematics (ICERM) at Brown University, USA. He completed his PhD in electrical engineering from Georgia Institute of Technology (GaTech), USA, and has been working in the Center of Signal and Information Processing (CSIP) at GaTech. During his PhD he spent the summer of 2012 at Duke University, USA in a research program on high dimensional data analysis techniques. He received an MS in Mathematics from the Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, USA; and an MS in electrical engineering from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA; and a B.Sc. in electrical engineering from the University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore.
- Ali Ahmed and Laurent Demanet. Leveraging diversity and sparsity in blind deconvolution. published in IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 2018.
- Alireza Aghasi, Ali Ahmed, and Paul Hand. Branchhull: Convex bilinear inversion from the entrywise product of signals with known signs. under review in Applied and Computational Harmonic Analysis, 2017.
- Ali Ahmed. Compressive acquisition and least squares reconstruction of correlated signals. IEEE Signal Processing Letters, 2017.
- Ali Ahmed. A convex approach to blind mimo communications. under review in IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, 2018.
- A. Ahmed and B. Recht and J. Romberg. Blind deconvolution using convex programing. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 2012.
- A. Ahmed and J. Romberg. Compressive multiplexing of correlated signals. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 2013.
- A. Ahmed and J. Romberg. Compressive sampling of ensembles of correlated signals. Submitted in Applied and Computational Harmonic Analysis, 2013.
- A. Ahmed and J. Romberg. Low-rank matrix recovery via least sqaures. Preprint, 2015.
- Ali Ahmed, Muhammad Asim, and Fahad Shamshad. Bilinear inverse problems using deep generative priors. In under review in IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2018.
- Ali Ahmed, Alireza Aghasi, and Paul Hand. Convex bilinear inversion from the entrywise product of signals with known signs. In Signals, Systems and Computers (ASILOMAR), 2017 Conference Record of the Forty Fifth Asilomar Conference on. IEEE, 2017.
- A. Ahmed, A. Cosse, and L. Demanet. A convex approach to blind deconvolution with diverse inputs. IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), 2015.
- A. Ahmed and J. Romberg. Compressive sampling of correlated signals. In IEEE Conference Record of the Forty Fifth Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers (ASILOMAR), pages 1188-1192, 2011.
- A. Ahmed and J. Romberg. Compressive multiplexers for correlated signals. In Proc. IEEE Asilomar Conference on Signals Systems and Computers, Pacific Grove, CA, November 2012.
- A. Ahmed and J. Romberg. Compressive sampling in array processing. In The Fifth IEEE International Workshop on Computational Advances in Multi-Sensor Adaptive Processing, Pacific Grove, CA, December 2013.
- A. Charles, A. Ahmed, A. Joshi, S. Conover, C. Turnes, and M. Davenport. Cleaning up toxic waste: Removing nefarious contributions to recommendation systems. In IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), 2013.
- Fulbright Fellowship for PhD. (2009-2012)
- Fulbright Fellowship for Masters. (2007-2009) Ali Ahmed
- Lahore Board Fellowship for B.Sc. Electrical Engineering. (2001-2005)
- F.Sc., rank 4 out of roughly 100,000 students in Lahore board (1999-2000)
- Referee Service: Reviewer of IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Journal of Inverse Problems, and European Signal Processing Conference.
- "HEC NRPU Funding Award (2017)"
- Imaging and computing lab, MIT, USA
- Georgia Tech, USA
- Georgia State University, USA