Instructor

Muddasir Shabbir
Email: mudassir.shabbir@itu.edu.pk Office Hours:
Tue 04:00-06:00 PM and/or By appointment.

Design and Analysis of Algorithms Fall 2015

Course Information

Class meetings Mon 1:30PM – 3:00PM, Wed 10:15AM – 11:45AM in TBD
Pre-requisites Knowledge of basic concepts in mathematics and data structures is assumed (e.g. sets, functions, probability, proof by induction, permutations, logarithms, and the basics of solving recurances, graphs, trees).
Required text Author Algorithms Book Publishers Inc., 1999

— Bulletin Board —

Date News
Oct 5 Intro Class


Grading

There will be 6-10 homeworks, 6-10 in-class quizzes, and two exams. The exams will contribute ~ 40% (15-25 ratio) to the final grade – the rest of the grade ~ 60% is determined by homeworks, quizzes, and class participation. Final grades will be curved.
The homework assignments are mathematically oriented and involve derivations of mathematical equations, and proofs of statements.
Students can form groups of up to four for the purposes of homework. Homework is to be done independently within each group. Each group should understand and be able to explain the answers submitted. Each group should turn in one assignment, clearly marked with group-member names. Once you form a group, it can’t be changed.
NO LATE HOMEWORKS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
To fairly account for natural disasters and emergencies, everyone is allowed to skip one homework and one quiz. If you choose to solve all homeworks(quizzes), your homework(quiz) with the least score will be discarded while computing your final grade.
25% credit will be given for any question for clearly marking the question with “I DON’T KNOW”. Questions with a wrong answer will get 0% credit. So it’s better for you to admit that you don’t know something, rather than trying to fake it.

Policies

Academic dishonesty

Under the Honor Code, each of you is expected to submit your own work in this course. However, as outlined above, for the homework submissions, you are allowed to work in groups or to ask for general advice from the course staff or other experts. Such activity is both acceptable and encouraged, but you must indicate any collaboration or assistance on your solution sets.

Any collaboration or assistance that is not given proper citation may be considered a violation of the Honor Code.

You are responsible for understanding and being able to explain the solutions you submit.

In case of plagiarism you may receive an ‘F’ grade in this course along with penalties dictated by university policy. The course staff will actively pursue any suspected cases of Honor Code violations.

Homework Submission

Use standard 8 by 11 sheets of paper with no ragged edges.

Your group name should appear at the top of each page. Pages should be numbered and stapled together.

You should have a cover page that gives your name and a table with three columns. The first column lists each of the assigned problems in the order that they appear on the assignment (whether you did them all or not). The second column contains the number of the page of your work where the solution to the problem appears (or the words “Not done” if you did not do it.) The third column is left blank for me to record the score.

Submissions in TeX are strongly preferred, and may become mandatory if I have trouble with your handwriting.


Tentative Topics

# Topic
1 Intro to Algorithms