- Energy and Climate Policy
- Energy Security
- Geopolitics of South Asia
- Sustainable Development
Ms. Kamal is an international public policy specialist, with a focus on energy policy. She was awarded the Chevening Scholarship for a Masters in International Public Policy, Queen Mary, University of London. She received a distinction on her dissertation “Conflicting Goals? Assessing the Paris Agreement through the lens of Energy Security.” She also holds two Bachelor’s degrees from Boston University in International Relations and Journalism.
In the past, she has worked on governance, water and energy security at the Sustainable Development Policy Institute (SDPI). She was invited as a speaker at leading national conferences such as Pakistan Energy Forum, Sustainable Development Conference etc. She also led the energy policy advocacy strategy with press releases and interviews on national television. She has written on policy issues in Dawn, The News, South Asia Magazine, Express Tribune etc.
- Kamal, M., 2015, “Dynamics of Natural Gas Pricing: The Critical Need for a Natural Gas Hub in South Asia”, Journal of International Affairs, 69 (1), Columbia University.
- Kamal, M., 2019, “Rethinking the Energy Mix”, Policy Feature, Jinnah Institute.
- Gul, M., Kamal, M., Gul, E., 2018, “The Role of CPEC in stimulating entrepreneurial activity,” The Great Transformation? The China-Pakistan Economic Corridor and Culture, Economy and Society in Pakistan, Conference Proceedings, Lahore University of Management Sciences.
- Abbasi, A.H., Kamal, M., Mehmood F., Baig, A., 2014, “Pakistan Energy Vision 2035”, Sustainable Development Policy Institute.
- Abbasi, A.H., Mehmood, F., Wasti, A., Kamal, M., Fatima, Z., 2013, “Rethinking Pakistan's Energy Equation: Iran-Pakistan Gas Pipeline”, Sustainable Development Policy Institute.
- Abbasi, A.H., Kamal, M., 2014, “Importing Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG): A Policy Analysis,” Sustainable Development Policy Institute.
- Abbasi, A.H., Mehmood, F., Kamal, M., 2014, “Shale Oil and Gas: Lifeline for Pakistan”, Sustainable Development Policy Institute.
- Abbasi, A.H., Kamal, M., Mehmood, F., 2014, “Policy Analysis: Coal Power Generation in Pakistan,” Sustainable Development Policy Institute.
- Awarded the Chevening Scholarship in 2015 for MSc International Public Policy at Queen Mary, University of London
- Boston University, Dean’s List (Fall’2012)
- “Tomorrow’s Energy Leaders” program in February 2016 for Energy Institute‘s International Petroleum Week, London
- Global Shapers Community (an initiative of the World Economic Forum)
- Sustainable Development Policy Institute
- Women in Energy, Pakistan