I am interested in studying the coupled nature of interactions of human systems with the natural environment. I am specifically interested in wicked problems, especially those related to water security and sustainability but also the combined water, food and energy system, and understanding them through the lens of complex systems.
Prior to joining ITU, Hassan Bukhari was an Environmental Specialist at Hagler Bailly Pakistan. He has conducted many environmental impact assessments including those of coal mines and power plants in the Thar coal fields, hydropower projects on the Jhelum River, and international highways in Central Asia. He holds a Master’s degree in Natural Resources and Environment and a Graduate Certificate in Complex Systems from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor as well as a Bachelor’s degree in Physics from the Lahore University of Management Sciences.
He has worked on a wide breadth of multi-disciplinary projects for organizations such as the Great Lakes Commission, Erb Institute for Global Sustainable Enterprise, World Wildlife Fund, and the Heritage Foundation of Pakistan. He is also the co-founder of Cheruvu, a startup that is developing techniques to provide site specific nutrient management advice to rural farmers and is currently working with hundreds of cotton farmers in rural India. He enjoys playing rugby and has played with the LUMS and Ann Arbor Rugby teams.
- Conference Proceedings H. Bukhari. W. S. Veljee, J. Baig, K. Rizvi, S. A. Raza., Water Management in Ayubia National Park, International Conference of Water Resources Engineering & Management, March 7-8, 2011. UET, Lahore
- A. Khalid, H. Bukhari, Domestic Concentrated Solar Thermal Co-generation Plants for Pakistan. Conference on Pakistan’s Energy Options: Technology, Availability, Affordability, and the Role of Regional Grids. Islamabad, Pakistan, March 20-21, 2012
- H. Bukhari, Estimating Trends in Freshwater Dolphin Habitat from LANDSAT Data, IMAGIN Student Poster & Paper Competition, Schoolcraft College, Livonia, Michigan January 30, 2014
- Academic Thesis Domestic Concentrated Solar Thermal Power Plants for Pakistan. Abdullah Khalid and Hassan Bukhari. BS Thesis, Lahore University of Management Sciences, May 2012.
- Popular Press 3D movies: The science behind the magic, The Express Tribune Blog, February 4, 2011
- In Progress Oct 2017, Empower Small Farmers in Developing Countries to Grow More with Better Information, National Geographic Chasing Genius People’s Choice Award Team award of $25,000
- Completed January 2015, Big Data & Small Farmers: Leveraging Data Science to Inform Best Farming Practices in India, DOW Distinguished Award for Interdisciplinary Sustainability Team award of $35,000
- H. Bukhari, S. Shattuck, J. Elkin, N. Lichten, M. Hempkin, R. Petit, Evaluating Policy Options for the Control and Prevention of Nonpoint Source Pollution and Harmful Algal Blooms, 2014 Great Lakes Sedimentation Workshop, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Ann Arbor, Michigan. June 5-6, 2014
- H. Bukhari, Reducing Nutrient Runoff in the Western Lake Erie Basin, Global Issues Symposium on Water Resources, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan. February 6, 2015
- H. Bukhari, S. Shattuck, J. Elkin, N. Lichten, M. Hempkin, R. Petit, Evaluating Policy Options for the Control and Prevention of Nonpoint Source Pollution and Harmful Algal Blooms, 2015 Great Lakes Sedimentation Workshop, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Ann Arbor Michigan May 20-21, 2015
- H. Bukhari, CHERUVU: Big Data and Local Practices, Innovation for Development - Towards a Sustainable Future, 12th Annual Fulbright & Humphry Alumni Conference NUST, Islamabad, December 4-6, 2015
- H. Bukhari, The Kashmir Catfish and the Dam, Agents of Change, 13th Annual Fulbright & Humphry Alumni Conference, Higher Education Commission, December 2-4, 2016
- Jonathan Bulkley Water Prize, University of Michigan, 2015
- Fulbright Masters Scholarship 2013
- Special Contribution to Rugby, LUMS, 2012