Analysis of reactive, stochastic, real-time, and hybrid systems. Reduction techniques for probabilistic systems using game theory. Formal software verification, in particular model checking. Formal modeling and analysis of distributed computing. Game theory, Petrinets, process algebra, concurrency theory, mathematical logic and automata theory.
Dr. Falak Sher attended Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute, Pakistan and RWTH Aachen University Germany for undergraduate and graduate studies. He earned BS Computer Systems Engineering degree (in 2001) and MS Software Systems Engineering degree (in 2010) with distinction. His master thesis was selected for Microsoft Innovation Award for the year 2009-2010 at RWTH Aachen University. He also earned academic excellence scholarship at RWTH Aachen University for the year 2009-2010. In 2015, he got doctoral degree at RWTH Aachen University with distinction in the area of formal methods. Later on, he joined as a postdoctoral researcher at Fortiss GmbH Germany, and worked as a formal verification expert on research projects in collaboration with Fondazione Bruno Kessler Italy, Frequentis, LynuxWorks, RWTH Aachen University, The Open Group, TTTech, Universite Joseph Fourier and University of York. In his professional life, Dr. Falak Sher has worked as software engineer at Techlogix, Pakistan, and as a business analyst and project lead at Kabot International from 2001 to 2007.
- Falak Sher. Abstraction and Refinement of Probabilistic Automata using Modal Stochastic Games. Ph.D dissertation, RWTH Aachen University, 2015.
- Falak Sher, Joost-Pieter Katoen. Tight Game Abstractions of Probabilistic Automata. Conference on Concurrency Theory (CONCUR), 2014.
- Souymodip Chakraborty, Martin Strelec, Joost-Pieter Katoen, Falak Sher. Modelling and Statistical Model Checking of a Microgrid. Software Tools for Technology Transfer (STTT), pages 1-14, 2014.
- Benoit Delahaye, Joost-Pieter Katoen, Kim G. Larsen, Axel Legay, Mikkel Pedersen, Falak Sher, Andrzej Wasowski.Abstract Probabilistic Automata. Information and Computation, 2013.
- Souymodip Chakraborty, Martin Strelec, Joost-Pieter Katoen, Falak Sher. Modelling and Statistical Model Checking of a Microgrid. Workshop on Statistical Model Checking (SMC), 2013. 5
- Falak Sher, Joost-Pieter Katoen. Compositional Abstraction Techniques for Probabilistic Automata. IFIP Conference on Theoretical Computer Science (TCS), Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pages 325-341, 2012.
- Benoit Delahaye, Joost-Pieter Katoen, Kim G. Larsen, Axel Legay, Mikkel Pedersen, Falak Sher, Andrzej Wasowski. New Results on Abstract Probabilistic Automata. Applications of Concurrency to System Design (ACSD), IEEE, pages 118- 127, 2011.
- Benoit Delahaye, Joost-Pieter Katoen, Kim G. Larsen, Axel Legay, Mikkel Pedersen, Falak Sher, Andrzej Wasowski. Abstract Probabilistic Automata. Verification, Model Checking and Abstract Interpretation (VMCAI), Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pages 324-339, 2011.
- Muhammad Umar Janjua, Mehboob Yasin, Falak Sher, Kashif Awan, Irtaza Hassan. Clustered-enabled Java virtual machine. Cluster Computing, IEEE, pages 389- 393, 2002.
- Graduation with distinction, RWTH Aachen University, 2010.
- Microsoft Innovation Award for the best master thesis Compositional Abstraction for Probabilistic Automata in 2010.
- RWTH master student scholarship for the years 2009-2010.
- Graduation with distinction, GIKI Institute, 2001.
- Primary, middle and high school gold medalist, DPS Model Town.