Wind Energy Systems, Grid Integration of Renewables, Fault Detection, Power Optimization, Converters' Design.
Dr. Khan did his higher secondary schooling from GCU, Lahore. In 2010, he received his bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from University of the Punjab, Lahore; and pursued his postgraduate studies from University of Cape Town (UCT), South Africa. All through his masters, he remained recipient of international student bursary from UCT. The focus of his research was on the development of a laboratory type grid emulator. The test bench was applied to study the power network’s behavior by generating different reproducible types of disturbed grid voltages using multi-level converters. After completing his degree in 2013, he was offered to work as a Design Engineer at MLT Power, Cape Town.
In 2015, he joined UCT as a Research Assistant and commenced his PhD. His research was based on the development of a power conditioner for wind energy systems integrated into unbalanced weak grids. During his PhD, he was awarded a prestigious scholarship from National Research Foundation, South Africa. At UCT, he was the member of Students’ Health and Welfare Centers Organization (SHAWCO) and also a volunteer with International Academic Programs Office (IAPO).
After completing his PhD research in 2018, he joined Minhaj University Lahore (MUL) and offered his services as an Advisor at the Department of Electrical Engineering. During this tenure (2018-2019), he played a vital role in the PEC and HEC approval visits.
In 2020, he joined Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute (GIKI) as an Assistant Professor and served there for a year and a half. At GIKI, he remained involved in several academic and administrative activities. He was also appointed as the IEEE PES Student Chapter Advisor. In April 2020, he organized the very first IEEE affiliated International Conference on Emerging Power Technologies (ICEPT-2021); in his capacity as a Conference General Secretary.
Dr. Khan joined ITU in July 2021.
- Rehman, A. Jameel, A. Khan “Load Frequency Management for a Two-Area System by Swarm Optimization based Intelligent Algorithms”, presented at IEEE International Conference on Emerging Power Technologies, Pakistan 2021.
- Shaikh, S. Islam, A. Khan “Three Phase Transformer based Cascaded H-Bridge Multilevel Inverter”, presented at IEEE International Conference on Emerging Power Technologies, Pakistan 2021.
- Khan, A. Jameel, M. A. Khan, H. Sher “Limited Current Calculation to Support LVRT for a PMSG based WECS Operating under Asymmetrical Weak Grid Conditions”, under review at IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 2021.
- Khan, U. Rehman, A. Jameel, M. A. Khan, “Load Frequency Management using Soft Computational Algorithms: a comparative analysis”, under review at International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems 2021.
- Khan, M. Majid Gulzar, H. Ahmed, A. Jameel “Comparative Analysis of a Coordinated Controlled LVRT Support for a PMSG-Based WECS Integrated in a Weak AC Grid”, under review at Energies 2021.
- Khan, X.M.Hu, M.A. Khan “Doubly Fed Induction Generator Synchronization Procedure during Unbalanced Grid Voltage Conditions”, published at Energies 2020, DOI: 10. 3390/en13123155
- Khan, M.A. Khan, M. Malengret “Optimal Current Calculation for a PMSG based Wind Energy System Integrated into an Unbalanced Weak Grid”, published at IET Journal of Electric Power Applications 2019, DOI: 10.1049/iet-epa.2018.5738
- Ogidi, A.Khan “Deployment of Onshore Wind Turbine Generator Topologies-Opportunities and Challenges”, published at International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems 2019, DOI: 10.1002/2050-7038.12308
- Khan, X.M.Hu, M.A. Khan “Real-Time Implementation and Comparative Analysis of αβ and gh Reference Framed SVPWM Techniques for a Three-Level NPC Induction Motor Drive”, presented at IEEE PES-IAS Power Africa Conference 2018.
- Khan, M.A. Khan, M. Malengret "Steady State Impedance Estimation of a Weak Grid to Assist Optimal Current Injection for Minimal Power Losses", presented at IEEE Energy Conversion Congress & Exposition, USA, Sep 2016.
- Khan, M.A. Khan, P. Barendse “Effects of Load Variation on a Weak Grid under Unbalanced Voltage Conditions”, presented at IEEE International Conference on Electrical Machines, Germany, Sep 2014.
- Khan, M.A. Khan, P. Barendse “Power Loss Analysis of Two-Level and NPC Three-Level Voltage Source Inverters”, proceedings of South African Universities Power Engineering Conference 2013.
- Akrama Khan “Software Defined Radio Prototype” LAP Lambert Academic Publishing Germany, 2011, ISBN: 978-3-8454-7468-7.
- Government scholarships for high school and undergraduate studies (2003-2005)
- International student bursary at University of Cape Town (2011-2013)
- Scholarship from National Research Foundation, South Africa (2016-2018)
- Engineering Council of South Africa
- Pakistan Engineering Council
- Member IEEE
- IEEE PES Student Chapter Advisor
- Reviewer IEEE Power Electronics, IET Renewable Power Generation