Crowdsourcing (the dynamics of crowdsourcing communities, including expectations, motivations, and control issues), Crowdmapping, Digital Infrastructures, Social Computing, Social Media.
Dr Abdul Rehman Shahid is an Assistant Professor of Management Information Systems (MIS) at the School of Business and Management.
Abdul Rehman is also a Visiting Lecturer at Royal Holloway, University of London. He has held academic posts at the University of Sussex, Regent’s University London, and Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS).
His research explores the impact of crowdsourcing initiatives. He has previously written on the impact of crowdmapping on humanitarian response. Moreover, his research explores the dynamics of crowdsourcing communities, including expectations, motivations, and control issues. Abdul Rehman has presented his research at leading conferences, including the European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS) and the International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP) WG 8.6.
Abdul Rehman has completed his fully funded PhD from the School of Management at Royal Holloway, University of London, where he was awarded the prestigious ‘Reid Research Scholarship’ for academic excellence. He also holds an MSc with Distinction in Business IT from Strathclyde Business School.
He has been teaching at the Higher Education level for a number of years. Abdul Rehman is an Associate Fellow of The Higher Education Academy (HEA), United Kingdom. During his career, he has supervised several Master’s theses to successful completion.
- Shahid, A. R., & Elbanna, A. (2016). Who is in Control in Crowdsourcing Initiatives? An Examination of the Case of Crowdmapping. Paper to be presented at the International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP) WG 8.6, Ljungskile, Sweden.
- Shahid, A. R., & Elbanna, A. (2015). The Impact of Crowdsourcing on Organisational Practices: The Case of Crowdmapping. Paper presented at the 23rd European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS), Munster, Germany.
- Shahid, A. R., & Elbanna, A. (2014). The Impact of Social Action through Social Media on Community Resilience during Disaster Situations. Abstract from Social Media Perspectives in Business and Government - British Academy of Management, London, United Kingdom.
- Shaikh, S. E., Hassan, Z., Farooq, B., & Shahid, A. R. (2012). Business Intelligence at Telenor Pakistan. Paper presented at the 33rd International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Orlando, United States.
- 2011 – I have authored 2 case studies on innovations in Pakistan (OIC Project) that will be published with the appropriate bodies. Written during employment with LUMS.
- Awarded prestigious ‘Reid Research Scholarship’ for academic excellence worth over £50,000 by Royal Holloway, University of London.
- Awarded University of London Fund Award for PhD Research Related Activities.
- Awarded prestigious ‘Department of Management Scholarship’ by Strathclyde Business School.
- Associate Fellow – The Higher Education Academy (HEA), United Kingdom.
- Academic Member – Association of Information Systems (AIS).