Optical and Microwave Metamaterials, Nano/micro-photonics and Fabrications, Antenna Engineering, RF and Microwave Devices
Dr. M. Qasim Mehmood has received his BS degree in Electronic Engineering from International Islamic University Islamabad (IIUI) in 2008. Same year he started his MS from Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute (GIKI) and joined there as a Lecturer upon completion of his MS in 2010. He has completed his PhD from National University of Singapore under the supervision of well-known professors Dr. Cheng-wei Qiu, Dr. Aaron Danner and Dr. Teng Jinghua. Currently he is heading NanoTech lab at ITU, where innovative ideas and impactful research-outcome is the ultimate goal. His research is essentially in the area of optics and nano-photonics: more precisely it includes the demonstration of exotic phenomena (via ultra-thin nano-structured devices) e.g., on-chip orbital angular manipulation, beam-steering, spin-orbital coupling, three dimensional holography, polarization filtering and light absorption etc. All of his work incorporates vigorous theoretical modeling, numerical calculations and experimental investigations.
He has plentiful experience of nano-fabrications at different clean-rooms such as Institute of Material Research Engineering (IMRE) A*STAR Singapore, Spin Energy Lab (SEL) NUS Singapore and National Institute for Nano-materials Technology (NINT) POSTECH South Korea. He has active research collaborations with Harvard, NUS, POSTECH, SUTD and Wuhan University, where his students (MS and PhD) and research associates go for attachments to perform their fabrications.
- Sohail Abdul Jalil, Mahreen Akram, Gwanho Yoon, Ayesha Khalid, Dasol Lee, Niloufar Raeis-Hosseini, Sunae So, Inki Kim, Qazi Salman Ahmed, Junsuk Rho, Q. Mehmood," High Refractive Index Ti_3O_5 Films for Dielectric Metasurfaces", Chinese Phys. Lett. (2017). Impact Factor = 0.80
- Guoxing Zheng, Weibiao Wu, Zile Li, Shuang Zhang, Q. Mehmood, Ping’an He, and Song Li," A Dual Field-of-View Zoom Metalens", Opt. Lett. 42, 7, 1261-1264 (2017). Impact Factor =3.040
- S. Mei, K. Huang, T. Zhang, M. Q. Mehmood, H. Liu, C.T. Lim, J. Teng, and C.-W. Qiu*, "Evanescent Vortex: Optical Subwavelength Spanner", Appl. Phys. Lett., 109, 191107 (2016). Impact Factor = 3.14.
- M. R. C. Mahdy†, M. Q. Mehmood†, Weiqiang Ding, Tianhang Zhang, Zhi Ning Chen," Lorentz Force and the Optical Pulling of Multiple Rayleigh Particles outside the Dielectric Cylindrical Waveguides", Ann. Phys. (Berlin), 1–9 (2016). †=Equal Contribution. Impact Factor = 3.44.
- Shengtao Mei†, M. Q. Mehmood†, Sajid Hussain, Kun Huang, Xiaohui Ling, Shawn Yohanes Siew, Hong Liu, Jinghua Teng, Aaron Danner and Cheng-Wei Qiu, " Flat Helical Nanosieves", Adv. Fun. Mat. Volume 26, Issue 29, 5255–5262, (2016). †=Equal Contribution. Impact Factor = 11.80.
- Wei Xiang Jiang, Shuo Ge, Tiancheng Han, Shuang Zhang, M. Q. Mehmood, Cheng-Wei Qiu and Tie Jun Cui, " Shaping electromagnetic wave paths using three-dimensional gradient-refractiveindex metamaterials", Adv. Sci. (2016). Impact Factor = 6.00.
- M. Q. Mehmood, Shengtao Mei, Sajid Hussain, Kun Huang, S. Y. Siew, Lei Zhang, Tianhang Zhang, Xiaohui Ling, Hong Liu, Jinghua Teng, Aaron Danner, Shuang Zhang, and Cheng-Wei Qiu, “Visible-frequency Metasurface for Structuring and Spatially Multiplexing Optical Vortices” Adv. Mater. (2016). Impact Factor = 17.49
- M. Q. Mehmood, Hong Liu, Kun Huang, Shengtao Mei, Aaron Danner, Boris Luk’yanchuk, Shuang Zhang, Jinghua Teng, Stefan A. Maier, and Cheng-Wei Qiu, “Broadband Spin-Controlled Focusing via Logarithmic-spiral Nanoslits of Varying Width” Laser Photonics Rev. 9, 6, 674–681 (2015). Impact Factor = 8.01
- Xianzhong Chen, Ming Chen, M. Q. Mehmood, Dandan Wen, Fuyong Yue , Cheng-Wei Qiu and Shuang Zhang, “Longitudinal multi-foci metalens for circularly polarized light”, Advanced Optical Mater. 3, No. 9, 1201–1206 (2015). †=Equal Contribution. Impact Factor = 5.188
- Dacheng Wang, Lingchao Zhang, Yinghong Gu, M. Q. Mehmood, Yandong Gong, Amar Srivastava, Linke Jian, T. Venkatesan, Cheng-Wei Qiu & Minghui Hong, “Switchable Ultrathin Quarter-wave Plate in Terahertz Using Active Phase-change Metasurface”. Scientific Reports 5, Article number: 15020 (2015). Impact Factor = 5.578
- Jialian Sheng, Mengdao Xing, Lei Zhang, M. Q. Mehmood, and Lei Yang, “ISAR Cross-Range Scaling by Using Sharpness Maximization,” Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, IEEE, vol.12, no.1, pp.165,169, Jan. 2015. Impact Factor = 2.095
- Shengtao Mei, Kun Huang, Hong Liu, Fei Qin, M. Q. Mehmood, Zhengji Xu, Minghui Hong, Daohua Zhang, Jinghua Teng, Aaron Danner, and Cheng-Wei Qiu, “On-chip Discrimination of Orbital Angular Momentum of Light with Plasmonic Nanoslits” Nanoscale, 2015, DOI: 10.1039/C5NR07374J. Impact Factor = 7.394
- Hong Liu†, M. Q. Mehmood†, Kun Huang, Lin Ke, Huapeng Ye, Patrice Genevet, Mingsheng Zhang , Aaron Danner, Swee Ping Yeo, Cheng-Wei Qiu, and Jinghua Teng, “Twisted Focusing of Optical Vortices with Broadband Flat Spiral Zone Plates.” Advanced Optical Mater. 2, No. 12, 1193–1198 (2014) †=Equal Contribution, Impact Factor = 5.188
- M. Q. Mehmood, Cheng-Wei Qiu, Aaron Danner, and Jinghua Teng, “Generation of optical vortex beams by compact structures.” Mol. Eng. Mater. 02, 1440013 (2014)
- M. Q. Mehmood, M. J. Mughal and T. Rahim, “Focal Region Fields of Gregorian System Embedded in Chiral Medium.” Progress in Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 11, 241-256, 2010.
- M. Q. Mehmood, M. J. Mughal and T. Rahim, “Focal Region Fields of Cassegrain System Embedded in Chiral Medium.” Progress in Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 21, 329-346, 2010.
- M. Q. Mehmood, and M. J. Mughal, "Analysis of Focal Region Fields of PEMC Gregorian System Embedded in Chiral Medium." Progress in Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 18, 155-168, 2010.
- M. Q. Mehmood, M. J. Mughal and T. Rahim, "Analysis of Focal Region Fields of PEMC Cassegrain System Embedded in Chiral Medium." International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol. 38, No. 1, 39-45 (2012). Impact Factor =0.815
- Arshad, M. Q. Mehmood, and M. J. Mughal, “Caustic Region Fields of a 3D Cassegrain System Placed in Bi-Isotropic Homogeneous Chiral Medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 20, 191-205, 2011
- Kayani, M. Q. Mehmood, M. J. Mughal and T. Rahim, “Analysis of the Field Focused by Hyperbolic Lens Embedded in Chiral Medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 20, 43–56, 2011.
- Abdul Razzaq Farooqi, Muhammad Junaid Mughal and M. Q. Mehmood, "Focusing of Electromagnetic fields by a circular reflector coated with Chiral Medium." International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol. 38, No. 4, 181-193 (2012). Impact Factor = 0.815
- Shengtao Mei, M. Q. Mehmood, Kun Huang, Cheng-Wei Qiu, " Multi-foci metalens for spin and orbital angular momentum interaction." Proc. SPIE9544, Metamaterials, Metadevices, and Metasystems (2015), 95441J.
- Hong Liu, M. Q. Mehmood, Kun Huang, Lin Ke, Huapeng Ye, Patrice Genevet, Mingsheng Zhang, Cheng-Wei Qiu, JinghuaTeng, " Aperiodic Nanophotonics: A New Paradigm for Engineering Light's Orbital Angular Momentum." Meta 15, New York (2015).
- J. Mughal, T. Rahim and M. Q. Mehmood, "Analysis of the Caustic Region Fields of a PEMC Spherical Reflector Placed in Chiral Medium." IEEE 19th Signal Processing and Communications Applications Conference (SIU 2011).
- M. J. Mughal, T. Rahim, M. Husnain and M. Q. Mehmood, "Caustic Region Fields of two Dimensional Cassegrain System Coated with Isotropic Chiral Medium." IEEE 19th Signal Processing and Communications Applications Conference (SIU 2011).
- Selected for ICTP Winter School of Optics, 2017.
- NUS Research Scholarship for PhD.
- GIKI fellowship for MS.
- 2nd Position (with highest distinction: 3.95/4.00 CGPA) in BS in Electronic Engineering.
National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore. Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), South Korea.