Image processing, pattern recognition, machine vision, Optimization, Modeling and Simulation.
Dr. Arif Mahmood received his MS and Ph.D in Computer Science from LUMS with academic distinction and a Gold Medal. His Ph.D thesis was on “Computation Elimination Algorithms For Correlation Based Fast Template Matching.” He has served as a Research Assistant Professor first, at the School of Computer Science and Software Engineering and then later at the School of Mathematics and Statistics in the University of the Western Australia. He was an Assistant Professor at the Punjab University College of Information Technology from 2008 to 2012. He has excellent teaching and research experience at several national and international institutes. His major research interests include data clustering, classification, action and object recognition using image sets. He has also worked on computation elimination algorithms for fast template matching, video compression, object removal and image mosaicing. While at the School of Mathematics and Statistics, he also worked on network community detection problems. He has been published extensively and has presented his work at over 17 conferences worldwide.
- Optimizing Auto-correlation for Fast Target Search in Large Search Space Submitted to IEEE 2014. [Read pre-print and download Dataset and Software Setup]
- Semi-supervised spectral clustering for classification Submitted 2014. [Read this paper and download Dataset]
- Image de-fencing framework with hybrid inpainting algorithm Submitted 2013.
- Hyperspectral face recognition with spatiospectral information fusion and PLS regression M. Uzair, Arif Mahmood, A. Mian, Accepted in IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, January 2015.
- A compact discriminative representation for efficient image-set classification Submitted 2013.
- Periocular region based person identification in the visible infra-red and hyperspectral imagery M. Uzair, Arif Mahmood, A. Mian and C. McDonald, Accepted in Neurocomputing, July 2014.
- Correlation coefficient based fast template matching through partial elimination Arif Mahmood and Sohaib Khan, in IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, April 2012. [Download Draft Version]
- An image composition algorithm for handling global visual effects Muhammad Shahid Fareed and Arif Mahmood, in Multimedia Tools and Applications, November 2012 [See Beautiful Visual Effects]
- Image morphing in frequency domain Muhammad Shahid Fareed and Arif Mahmood, in Journal of Mathematical Imaging and Vision, March 2011 [See Morphing Results]
- Exploiting transitivity of correlation for fast template matching Arif Mahmood and Sohaib Khan, in IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol 19, No. 8, August 2010 [Download Draft Version]
HOPC: Histogram of Oriented Principal Components of 3D Pointclouds for Action Recognition H. Rahmani, Arif Mahmood, Du Q. Huynh, and Ajmal Mian accepted in European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV) Zurich, 2014 [ Download Draft Version]
- Semi-supervised spectral clustering for image set classification Arif Mahmood, Ajmal Mian, Robyn Owens accepted in Computer Vision Pattern Recognition (CVPR) 2014 [Download Draft and Dataset]
Real Time Action Recognition Using Histograms of Depth Gradients and Random Decision Forests Hossein Rehmani, Arif Mahmood, Ajmal Mian, Du Huynh in IEEE Winter Applications of Computer Vision Conference (WACV) March 24-26, 2014, Steamboat Springs, CO, USA
Action classification using locality-constrained linear coding of HOG3D Hossein Rehmani, Arif Mahmood, Ajmal Mian, Du Huynh in ICPR 2014
Hyperspectral Face Recognition using 3D-DCT and Partial Least Squares Muhammad Uzair, Arif Mahmood, Ajmal Mian, in British Machine Vision Conference, University of Bristol, UK, 2013
A Compact Discriminative Representation for Efficient Image-set Classification with Application to Biometric Recognition Muhammad Uzair, Arif Mahmood, Ajmal Mian, Chris McDonald, International Conference on Biometrics Madrid, Spain 2013 (Oral)
Periocular Biometric Recognition using Image Sets Muhammad Uzair, Arif Mahmood, Ajmal Mian, Chris McDonald, Accepted in WACV 2013 [Download Draft Version]
Hierarchical Sparse Spectral Clustering for Image Set Classification Arif Mahmood, Ajmal Mian, in British Machine Vision Conference 2012, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK [Download Draft Version]
Image Inpainting based on Pyramids Muhammad Shahid Fareed, Hassan Khan and Arif Mahmood, in 10th IEEE International Conference on Signal Processing (ICSP) 2010, Beijing, China
Image Inpainting using Cubic Hermit Spline Muhammad Shahid Fareed, Hassan Khan and Arif Mahmood, in International Conference on Signal and Information Processing (ICSIP) 2010, Changsha, China
Early Termination Algorithms for Adaboost Based Detectors Arif Mahmood and Sohaib Khan, in IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), Cairo, Egypt, November 7-11, 2009
Exploiting Local Auto-Correlation Function For Fast Video To Reference Image Alignment Arif Mahmood and Sohaib Khan, in IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP 2008), San Diego, CA, USA, October 12-15, 2008
- Structure-Less Object Detection Using AdaBoost Arif Mahmood, in International Conference on Machine Vision 2007, Islamabad, Pakistan, 2007. [Best student paper award]
- Exploiting Inter-Frame Correlation for Fast Video to Reference Image Alignment Arif Mahmood and Sohaib Khan, in Computer Vision (ACCV 2007), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer Berlin/Heidelberg, 2007
- Early Termination Algorithms for Correlation Coefficient Based Block Matching Arif Mahmood and Sohaib Khan, in IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP 2007), San Antonio, TX, USA, September 2007
- Video Coding using Linear Compensation (VCLC) Arif Mahmood, Zartash Afzal Uzmi and Sohaib Khan, in International Conference on Communications, ICC 07, Glasgow, UK, June 24-27, 2007 [Project page]
- Automatically Generating Association Rules Under Diverse Operational Conditions for a Large Scale Power Plant Mian muhammad Awais, Arif Mahmood and Asim Karim, in 2nd International Bhurban Conference on Applied Sciences and Technology, Islamabad, Pakistan, June 2003.
- Best student paper award in International Conference on Machine Vision (ICMV 07)
- LUMS scholarship for PhD
- Gold Medal in MS Computer Science in LUMS
- Dean’s Honor List in MS and PhD in LUMS
- MoST Scholarship for MS